- If you are just starting out, it will give you a good idea of what’s working and what is not, and more importantly, which segment provides the opportunity for fastest growth;
- If you are already a Fintech pioneer, then knowing the landscape will help you explore market gaps for expansion or diversification;
- You will have a much better handle on new and emerging competitors, threatening your business model; and
- If you are an incumbent player, then knowledge of the landscape will help you identify acquisition or joint venture partnering opportunities, as a way to entering or getting exposure to the exciting world of Fintech.
To make sense of this market and for your benefit, we have already started to map out the Fintech landscape, or Fintech taxonomy, as there just isn’t enough information out there.
Click on the map to access an interactive map that will help you to learn more about the different business models emerging in this space. You also get to help us build the map, so don’t forget to leave your comments, suggestions, additions and amendments, below.
If you want to download a PDF version, then just click the button below
Navigating the Map
The map is divided across seven distinct functional lines covering the entire financial services landscape. The World Economic Forum research identified the first five and we added the last two categories to include suppliers and intermediaries:
- Savings and Lending
- Capital Raising
- Investment Management
- Data & Analytics
- Infrastructure & Financial Software
In the interactive online version of the map, you will be able to:
- Expand and collapse the branches
- Get links to reference website
- Open a dialogue box to read further explanation about the specific business model
Depending on whether you are looking at the online map or PDF, the red X or Flags indicate areas that may be subject to regulation. So tread carefully if you are looking to venture into these business models.
This is the first version of this map and it will be updated as we carry out further research, track industry developments and most importantly, receive your comments, updates, and additions.
In coming up with the Fintech Taxonomy Map, we leveraged some of the work already done by various organisations and bloggers. Here are links which you may find useful if you want to explore the Fintech landscape in more detail:
- The Future of Financial Services: A comprehensive report by the World Economic Forum
- Landscaping UK Fintech: A comprehensive report commissioned by UK Trade and Investments
- Making Sense of the Fintech Startup Landscape, a blog by Venture Scanner
- Thinking Fintech, a blog by Reuben Levy
- The Periodic Table of Fintech, a blog by CB Insights
Ready to Start your Own Fintech Venture?
Are you just as excited by this industry as we are? Ready to take the plunge into taking the next step? Then sign up for our FREE three part course on Regulated Fintech: How to get Started in the Right Way.
What you will get out of this course:
- Learn why Venture Capitalists are so interested in Fintech
- Get insights in gaps that may be open for you to exploit in Fintech
- Learn how to stage your Regulated Fintech launch for quick market entry
- Learn from a case study, how you can avoid expensive mistakes by launching in the wrong way
- Get absolute clarity on the best business model that you should pursue.
- Get a proven step-by-step approach to launching your Fintech venture in the right way.
About the Author
Jay is the founder and Director of Vedanvi Ltd, a professional services firm that was established exclusively to enable Fintech and Alternative Finance businesses start, grow and overcome risk and regulatory challenges.